[TowerTalk] Tower climbing Boots

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing Boots
From: Craig Smith <craig@powersmith.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 06:10:01 -0600
Not sure most boots would have room for a quarter inch plywood insole, but no
need for something this thick.

A good quality commercial insole will work wonders and only costs perhaps $30.
  The secret is to get one that is RIGID and STIFF.   Many, if not most,
products promote being soft and cushy - exactly the opposite of what you need
and want.   I can highly recommend the PowerStep insole.   Get the "original"
variety of it, as some of their later products are thicker and softer.   They
are available on the internet, including Amazon, and perhaps at a local store.
You need to specify your shoe size at purchase.   They are very thin, but
everything from the ball of your foot and back is quite rigid - similar to a
custom plastic orthotic.

These were recommended to me several years ago by my podiatrist when I was
hobbled with plantar fasciitis when running and climbing.  Since then I use
them in all my shoes and boots and have had zero problems.   They are just as
thin as any existing insole, so you just take out the insole that came with the
shoe/boot and insert these instead.   They should drastically increase your
comfort when on a tower with otherwise non-supportive shoes and allow climbing
with footwear such as athletic shoes, running shoes, lightweight hiking
shoes/boots, etc.

73  Craig  AC0DS