Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HG-70HD / HG-EW Winch Limit Switch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HyGain HG-70HD / HG-EW Winch Limit Switch
From: "Bob Segrest" <Bob.Segrest@BSegE.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 10:12:34 -0400
Hi Jim,

I managed to figure out the part numbers and as other may be interested at some
point…

The switch assembly is actually an assembly of four (4) separate Cutler-Hammer
parts.

     E50RA     Receptacle

     E50SA     Switch Body

     E50DR1    Side Rotary Operating Head, Standard spring return

     E50KL220  Switch Operator, 9 inch stainless steel

The receptacle is the wired housing that gets bolted to the supplied bracket on
the tower.  It is also where the flex cable from the controller is connected
via a ½ inch NPT fitting.  This connection is on the top of the assembly as
designed by Hy-Gain.  I suspect that the seal on this connection was
compromised during installation (twisted loose, no longer water tight) and
allowed moisture to fill the switch which subsequently froze fracturing the
gasket seal causing the failure.  The result is a corrosion frozen mess.  I
plan to epoxy seal the fitting or invert the assembly to prevent this in the
future.

The switch body mounts on the receptacle and is as the name implies the
electrical switch.  The operating head is the mechanical component that
transfers the motion of the switch operator (an adjustable bracket and rod that
clamps onto the shaft of the rotating head) to the electrical switch.

The assembly is mounted so that the limit switch is engaged when the largest
moving section of the tower is fully extended so that the controller can
prevent the winch from over extending the tower.

I hope this helps…

Bob

KO2F