Re: [TowerTalk] More fun with ground plane modeling

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] More fun with ground plane modeling
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:14:00 -0700

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:22:13 -0700, David wrote:

>Adding a second set of radials to get the two band capability you see is
>really nothing more than the equivalent of a fan dipole, and the only
>thing I would caution there is that in my experience there is enough
>interaction between elements of a fan dipole that it can be difficult to
>simply model it and have it come out dead on.

REPLY:

I have used fan inverted vees for years with good results, as long as
the elements are spread out at least ten degrees or more. Like you
say, what I am finding with a ground plane is essentially the same
thing. Fortunately I have an SWR analyzer to help with the tweaking.
Without that it would be more trouble than it's worth.

73, Bill W6WRT