Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Challenging Grounding/Bonding Situation ?
From: N3AE <n3ae@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 22:45:07 +0000 (UTC)
Bill,

Everything I've read says you need to bond all grounding electrodes together. I
think the electrical code requires this as well. If the tower took a direct
strike, all the "earth" near the tower would be at an elevated potential with
respect to "earth" further away (like the service entrance ground rod for the
house). If I recall, the effect is called "step potential" and is due to the
soil conductivity not being zero. That's not good as lightning currents will
find whatever paths it can to try to equalize those voltage differences.

I think the basic idea is to have all the "earthing conductors" rise and fall
together during a strike, hence the requirement to bond them all together.

But I certainly don't claim to be an expert of the subject.

Shawn - N3AE