Re: [TowerTalk] welding aluminum

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] welding aluminum
From: Chuck Smallhouse <w7cs@theriver.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 00:08:29 -0700

Bob, N7IP,

A number of years ago I built a large multi H frame system, using large aluminum square booms, for a 28' long boom ,16 yagi 2M array.

I welded all of the four smaller H frames , made of square tubing (2" x 3") together and the and the mounting plates on the large 30' 6" square cross boom and 28' vertical risers and their mounting plates . Also the perpendicular guy support tubes on the large cross and vertical tubing pieces.

I was a beginning welder and only had just recently taken a couple of welding classes at the local Jr. College. My recently purchased Miller 175 amp, 220 VAC, MIG welding system, also included a recently released option of a spool gun for use with soft aluminium welding wire . The spool gun installation instructions didn't include any set up temperature and speed information regarding welding aluminum material . I wrongfully assumed that it would be less than for steel. Later released instructions suggested much hotter temps for aluminium than for steel. So my first few welds had to be ground off and redone.

TIG type of welding (by an accomplished welder), I think is a much better method for welding aluminum and most beautiful commercial aluminum welds that you see are TIGed. However for most HB Amateur use, the MIG technique seems to be quite satisfactory as far as strength is concerned, as long as adequate weld penetration is achieved. Fortunately my finish welds would not be too visible, at 30' up in the air. Pure argon is used for the shielding gas.

I did develope on idea/aid for use in extending and joining sections of the square tube to make the long boom and the long vertical risers. I was very much concerned on how to accomplish perfect horizontal and vertical alignment of the two pieces in this procedure. What I finally came up with, was to use a pencil type lazer pointer that I mounted on a plate, which I laid on one end of a section and placed a target block of wood on the other end of that section. I then transferred the target onto the far end of the 2nd, roughly aligned, extension piece of square tubing, I then fine tuned the two pieces of tubing so that the lazer spot was dead on the target for the full length of the to be extended tube, hence perfect alignment in both H and V planes.

I then butt welded the two sections together and followed up with two 1/4" thick x 2' long large pieces of aluminum angle along the diametric opposite sides of the joint, that were then also welded on to the two pieces.

I've found that discretely using welding techniques can not only make an assembly lighter but may accomplish it much quicker, than using nuts and bolts and maybe with backing plates or angles. This is especially true when assembling large structures for tower mounting, where minimum weight and permanent alignment can be of high priority. Getting rid of heavy mounting plates and multiple corrosion resistant U bolts can be significant, and even cost effective.

Chuck,  W7CS