Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:36:01 -0500
Gear choices are a complete joke when talking about being active over a span of 50+ years - as a lot of the top honor role guys have been.

Sure, some gear is better than others (antenna X is 2 db better than antenna Y) and in a shoot-out, the better beam will give the better signal by a bit. But that's a pretty small delta compared to solar conditions. I wonder what the SFI difference needs to be to provide an equivalent 2db better SNR to signals on the bands? I bet it's not very much.

The fact is being on the bands when the condx are right - even if you don't have 20 elements at 200' - can get you in the log most of the time. 10m is a great example of that. When the SFI is sizzling (e.g 90's peak), a whip on the balcony with the railing as the ground system let's you work the world. For the high bands, when the cycle is down, all the antenna horsepower in the world won't burn a hole through to let you work the DX.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Joe Subich, W4TV