Re: [TowerTalk] trap antenna performance

To: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] trap antenna performance
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 16:48:23 -0500
I dug that article out of my stack of to-read stuff. And just like you say, there is a very nice looking article in there with a very slick test setup.

I'm sure it gives repeatable results. Meaning if he takes the measurement it will come out the same each time. great.

But I am in doubt as to the absolute accuracy of the indicated resonant frequency. Reference figure 4, see the long pipe stubs on each end? In my testing I found that changing the length of those stubs changed the indicated resonant frequency. Which means that the fixture, as shown in figure 4, is measuring the trap and the stubs on each end as a system - not the trap in isolation.

It's possible I am not doing the test right. To hedge against that, I did ask for suggestions on the N2PK reflector and my test method was OK.

I gave up my effort at that point having invested a couple of days in the shop tinkering around with it. I'm sure the guy who wrote the article is a far more savy RF engineer than I am and his method may be 100% perfect. But I sure wonder what the indicated resonance point of the trap in fig 4 would be if he whacked a couple of inches off one end of that trap tube...

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Christensen