Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Heights

To: Gene Smar <ersmar@verizon.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Heights
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 01:51:12 -0400
Theoretically the crank-up would work for finding the "best height", but I'd think this is where the advantage for stacked, switchable arrays, with diversity reception would excel. (for the few who can afford them and have the real estate large enough with zoning that would allow them.) IIRC The QST article also dealt with optimum height for the distances desired.

The crank-up disadvantage would be the speed of change (slow) and method of knowing when you really hit optimum, or a minor lobe. Sometimes, you might be hard pressed to keep up. Finding a peak might involve many reversals and short travels.

For those of us on pensions augmented with SS a used crank up and the ability to change the cable often would represent the "poor man's approach" for best height, but it would put the tower under much more use than the designer's had expected. Replacing cables (buy in bulk and make your own) most likely at least once a year, or more.

What else would be exposed to excessive wear and what kind of maintenance would be required?

I don't know if it'd be an improvement or not, but I'd prefer a heavy duty, industrial chain drive instead of a V-belt.

What about the coax and control cables? They would see much more movement and would need a trust worthy monitoring system as you aren't going to be able to watch other than by remote TV while suffering many distractions "at hand" . So I'd expect to be replacing coax and control cables/wiring much more often.

I always did my own maintenance, but physically that is no longer possible. From appearances at swaps and conventions, I'd guess there are many hams who are physically incapable of doing more than minor maintenance. On here I have gained the impression there are many "listeners/readers" who are not mechanically inclined enough, or possess the knowledge to do much of this type of work, safely.

Ham radio has many fields within the service and I'd not expect every one to be capable of servicing their gear. Rigs have become extremely complicated and some antenna systems very complex. My knowledge has not been able to keep up with the technology used in many of today's rigs.

Working on towers is dangerous. The results of improper maintenance, particularly on crank up towers can be very dangerous. Even lethal! Building large towers and installing heavy duty crank-up towers may require an engineering analysis of the soil. I can judge soil's ability, but I do not have the background to do a soil analysis, let alone and official one the insurance company would take.

So all in all, I'd expect the use of a crank up to try and find the best angle, or even an improved angle to come with considerable hidden costs including labor.

In the end, I'd put the antenna but only a bit higher than "optimum". It'd still work and probably well , just not optimum which for me is good enough.

73

Roger (K8RI)