Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning a 20m 4-Square Array - detuning other verticals?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning a 20m 4-Square Array - detuning other verticals?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 17:28:09 -0300
OK all, so I ran a quick power dump test with only 100w and my son at the
controls in the shack; me at the wattmeter at the array 160-180' away.
At 100w, at 14.000MHz, we saw about 500mW (1/2 a watt) into the dummy
load....it steadily went all the way up to maybe 1.5-2w at the very top of 20m
(14.350)

Strangely enough, at the radio, the best SWR is at 14.350 (just about 1.1:1)
and the worst is at 14.000MHz (1.8:1 or 2.1:1) so I don't really know what that
tells me.
(completely opposite to what I would've bet on !)...I have to think SWR curves
as viewed through a 4square are odd. On my analyzer I see many dips from
10-20MHz or so.  Vy odd looking.

Presumably at a kW I would see 10-x this amount of power dumped, yes? (I am
assuming a max of 20w @ 14.350MHz if running 1kW on 20m SSB) (am I correct?)

Three directions dumped about the same amount of power, but beaming SW dumped
about 1/2 of everything the other 3 directions had.  Still all vy low numbers.

Is there more to do or am I ok? Throw me some data ! (hi)

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB