Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo

To: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>, towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Erecting tower sections solo
From: Chris Wynn via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 02:35:30 +0000 (UTC)
I just stacked 100 feet of rohn 25 solo. I also erected a U.S. Tower TX-472
this past summer completely solo, with the exception of the concrete truck.
For the first 40 feet, I stacked the pieces without a gin pole, where I lifted
each piece above my head and placed the three poles onto the mating ends
simultaneously.  Back in college, I put up a 70 foot tower like this and my
dad, N4YDV, bet me that I couldn't still do it at 39 years old.  Well, I got
lucky and managed to stack it without incident.
When using a gin pole, rig a pulley at the  bottom of the tower and pull it up
with a lawn mower (I used my commercial Toro Zero Turn).  Leave the section
about 6 inches below where you need it.  Then, with the lawn mower holding the
section, climb to the top.  The gin pole will have a little bit of give/ flex.
When you go to raise the section above the top to place it, the gin pole will
carry most of the weight as you assist the section high enough to
simultaneously mate each of the 3 sections.
Another trick is to turn the gin pole pulley where its facing AWAY from the
tower.  That way, when you raise the section with the lawn
mower/truck/Zamboni/etc., the section pulls slightly away from the tower and
guy wires that would normally snag the section.
Good luck from a guy that literally stacked the top section of tower number two
on my Saturday break from the CQWW CW.....
Chris WynnN4XFA
Christopher L. Wynn
Attorney-at-Law
Christopher L. Wynn, ESQ., P.C.