Re: [TowerTalk] Can?t add egg insulator...

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Can?t add egg insulator...
From: N1BUG <paul@n1bug.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:12:15 -0500
On 12/14/2015 09:49 AM, Herbert Schoenbohm wrote:
I thought that you could safely put 30 feet of Rohn 25 un guy above a
good house or side building bracket.  That is what I use here for an
10/12/ and six meter tower but to get to 60' I have a set of Phillystran
guys at the rotor plate.  The house bracket is in to 2X6 and they are
back by a long 1 X4 .of treated lumber with over sized washers and nuts.

The old Rohn catalogs say yes, but I think only meant for very small antennas. I have seen too many towers that were bracketed or guyed with one or more section joints above the top support with elongated/worn holes from wind stresses. Not that they were in any danger of failing and crashing down, but having seen that several times I wouldn't install one that way because I wouldn't want to damage the sections.

Paul