Re: [TowerTalk] remote ant switch decision

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] remote ant switch decision
From: "J. Hunt via TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 00:08:12 +0000 (UTC)
Great - I also agree with Joe, W4TV.

I have also replaced / upgraded many "open-frame" relays within transceivers /
amplifiers / antenna switches over the years with appropriate sealed relays.
The "open relays" I have replaced - exhibited the same failure type as
described below.

My HF tower switch is home-brew.
It features "N" connectors, computer controlled from station, with lock-out and
feedback protection.
Including integral lightning protection.
Insertion loss <0.05db @ 50MHz., >60db isolation between ports (4).

About 10 years ago, I got fed up with pre-manufactured remote antenna switches.

Problems, one lightning hit - toast, high insertion loss, with questionable
isolation between ports.

Thanks n 73,
James
ki5dq