[TowerTalk] 10m or 15m 4-squares

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 10m or 15m 4-squares
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 15:28:50 -0300
I just posted a question about wire 4-squares, but this is a separate train
of thought.

Has anyone used 4-squares on 10m or 15m that could compare it to a low yagi,
a vertical or dipole?  I can't find much data out there for 4-squares on the
high bands.  Even 20m ones are rare.

Everyone seems to use Yagis, but since I have no towers (I don't climb) I am
maybe interested in these arrays for 10 & 15m. Some say the ground losses
are much higher on 10 & 15m - - true?

I do have a 20m 4-square array with elements up about 3' and raised radials
(2 per) and the verticals are very thin aluminum tubing and thin rod and
they swish and sway in the wind, so they are not really vertical much of the
time.  It *IS* square however.   That being said I am seeing about 3-4dB of
gain on 20m, and amazing F/B (like 25dB or so roughly) (referencing a HF9V
with 2 raised radials on RX and also using the RBN many times in A/B
transmit tests).  It's roughly equal to or slightly better than a low A3S
tribander I have @ 24;' AGL.

I like the idea of no climbing and instant direction switching.  I think I'd
eat a couple dB of gain for this if it was feasible to do without huge
losses at these frequencies.

Thanks for any insight on higher band 4-squares,10-15 or even 20m)... even
if anecdotal.

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB