Re: [TowerTalk] Varidesk-Standing desks

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Varidesk-Standing desks
From: Gary Johnson <gwj@wb9jps.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 07:24:15 -0700
>Another fad.
>Those are fine in a lab, or where you walk up and making entries, BUT
>working from a "stationary" standing position can damage feet, knees,
>hips and even your lower back.

NOT a fad. And you missed the point: This device, like other modern height-adjustable desks, allows you to easily SWITCH between sitting and standing. Ask any ergonomics consultant, ask any physical therapist, and they will confirm that 1) sitting puts higher stress on the lumbar region of your back than standing; 2) our skeleton and anti-gravity musculature evolved in a way that is optimized for standing, not sitting; 3) changing positions is always better than remaining eternally in one position. The only thing better would be a desk that lets you waltz around the room, or maybe we should just operate from our mobile devices. The reason we end up sitting all the time is that we are lazy! So lazy that many of us can't handle a decent hike at middle age. No wonder everything hurts... Walking the halls at work, I saw at least half the offices outfitted with electrically-actuated adjustable-height desks, folks have learned how to use them, and they are popular. That's the result of an effective ergonomics program.

Gary NA6O