Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Terminations

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guy Wire Terminations
From: Wes Stewart <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 20:39:50 -0700
Thanks everyone for your comments. My real concern was that someone would say something like, "Oh no no, don't ever use those." I'm not hearing that so all is good.

My actual application is pretty modest. I have a Rohn 45 series, 45' tall foldover tower. With the modest tri-band antenna (Optibeam 7-3) on top there isn't much wind load and the tower would probably free stand. (Photo at https://qrz.com/db/N7WS) However, guying is required, primarily when it's being folded over. So there is one set of four guys just below the hinge point (~22'). Currently, I'm using 5/16" EHS and wire rope clips just because that is what was on hand when I put this up 20 years ago. The only reason for a change is that I'm contemplating shunt feeding the tower and need to insulate the guy wires.

I've never liked climbing towers and at age 75 I like it even less, so quick and easy are pluses.

So, 90% strength is still overkill and if you look at the picture you can see that icing isn't much of a problem:-) My electric co-op uses these things like crazy.

Next issue is insulators. DX Engineering has their bent pin shackles/insulators, but they charge three prices for them and then sell them in sets of three and I need four. Looking for a lower cost solution.

Wes  N7WS