Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80 Meter beam
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 09:43:59 -0600
I have a 2-element 80 meter wire beam, with inverted-vee elements. The boom length is 34 feet. The first thing to be aware of is the very narrow bandwidth. About 60 kHz between 2:1 SWR points, and the SWR shoots up rapidly beyond those points. This means you will only be able to cover a small portion of the useful 3600-3850 phone band without having to retune your matching network.

Consider the 2-element parasitic array, using a director, described in the ON4UN book, "Other Arrays" chapter. This design gives you directional reversibility, which has proven to be very useful. I have mine cut for the CW band, with the director tuned for resonance around 3600. This means that on the phone band, the director becomes a reflector. Of course, the feedpoint impedance is a little screwy in the phone band, but that is taken care of with the feedpoint matching network.

If you are using open wire feeders, consider running 1/2 wavelength, open wire feeders from each element to ground level. Some ideas on doing this can be garnered from the K6NA design, in the ARRL Antenna Compendium, Volume 5.

73,
Steve, N2IC