Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete base - tower

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete base - tower
From: RCM <robrk@nidhog.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2017 13:50:42 -0400
> On Oct 13, 2017, at 13:38, RMorris <robrk@nidhog.net> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad
>

>> ##  pad + pier is a pita.   The dirt you put back in there..around the pier,
>> that
>> sits on the concrete base is...free weight.  You can easily dispense with the
>> form..but then  you will use a helluva lot more concrete..which is OK per
>> Trylon.
>> But the re-bar setup is different.
>>
>> ##  If ground is clay, or solid enough, so the sides of the hole   dont cave
>> in,
>> you dont require the megabuck, pita  wooden form.   Flip side is.... the
>> wooden form
>> is very expensive to build.  It comes out a wash,  or close to it.    Cost
>> of wooden form
>> vs cost of extra concrete.
>>
>> ##  If a wooden form is used, it has to be carefully constructed.  Concrete
>> weighs aprx
>> 4000 lbs  per cubic yard....=  150 lbs per cubic foot.   There is a huge
>> stress on the wooden form as is.
>> There is also a huge stress on the portion of the wooden form that
>> encompasses the pad.  Thats from the
>> sheer vertical compression weight of the  concrete in the pier.   Get it
>> wrong...and  form starts to come apart
>> when you have poured 80% of the concrete into the form.... u are in for a
>> rude awakening.
>>
>> ##  Even if it all goes ok, the  wooden form has to be removed.

Sorry, I fat fingered a reply, on the iPad.

Here’s how the big boys do piers…. Don’t need no wood.

https://www.sonotube.com/sonotubeconcreteforms.aspx
<https://www.sonotube.com/sonotubeconcreteforms.aspx>

Got to watch a 350 foot Rohn SS go up…

24x 24 foot hole, 40 yards of concrete. Pad and pier.

Each leg of the first section was 1100 pounds.