[TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Planning for the next move...
From: Chuck Chandler <chandlerusm@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2018 10:34:40 -0600
So, in about 2 years or so She Who Must Be Obeyed and I will be moving
again.  I will be finally retired and am hoping to build a modest station
that will satisfy my goals.  We are pretty much settled on the western
Massachusetts area.  We will likely not be buying a mountaintop farm with
the near-mythical island in a swamp atop it.  Much more likely is anywhere
from 1/3 to 1 acre, so I am looking at a single tower.  The older I get the
more insistent SWMBO gets that I do my antenna work at or near ground
level.

I really want some gain and directivity on 7-28 MHz... the antennas I am
looking at are the Mosley PRO-67-C-3 and the SteppIR DB18E.  The Mosely has
a dipole on 30, is a little heavier (150 lbs. vs. 110 lbs.) and costs about
a grand less.  Both of them are spec'ed at 12 or so square feet of wind
area.  Neither one is a certainty, but they give a ballpark estimate of
required tower capacity.  I am likely to hang an inverted V off the tower
as well.

So, my parameters are:
Ground/stepladder antenna work
Minimum able to support antenna, rotor, cables weighing up to 200 lbs. or
so.
Support a minimum 15 square feet wind area with antenna, rotor, cables.
Tower height of 40 to 60 feet.  Higher is better.  Also more expensive.

I would like to have some recommendations of towers that will be suitable.
I am hoping this will be the last tower project I ever do, and while I may
do some work myself I am also considering professional installation, at
least for the hard parts.

There's no rush on this, at this point I'm gathering info and trying to
figure a budget for the whole thing.  Any replies appreciated!

73 de Chuck, WS1L

--

Chuck Chandler