[TowerTalk] Winches

To: undefined <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Winches
From: Wilson Lamb <infomet@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:56:42 -0500 (EST)
Interesting stuff about pulldowns, etc.
FWIW, I have used a couple of small units for yard work, raising Field day
towers, etc..
I have had both Harbor Freight and Northern Tool winches and feel the NT ones
are a cut above.
They have nicer control systems and seem more weatherproof.
I have a larger big brand, Maybe Warn, 5000 lb winch on my flatbed trailer,
from NT.
It's about 20 yr old and has withstood incredible abuse, including being
outside all these years, and still works fine.
One of the main uses has been pulling logs onto the trailer for going to the
sawmill.
It has the original cable and swaged hook.  I often thing of recabling, but
havent gotten to it...
The only dangerous thing it does is raise a 40' tiltover Rohn 25 for FD.  I
keep everyone away when it's going up.
I don't know which of these winches have actual brakes.  I think they rely on
the gear train for holding loads.
I've never had one give under load at all.
It would be easy too use a cable grip and short cable to snub off any load you
wanted to hold.
WL