Re: [TowerTalk] Stripping rg142

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stripping rg142
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 22:34:02 -0600
Pretty difficult to strip Teflon cable with a thermo knife?

Thanks
73
Jim W7RY

On 11/24/2018 11:36 AM, jimlux wrote:
On 11/24/18 8:37 AM, WW3S wrote:
What’s the best way to strip this in preparation of crimp connectors

If you have a multiblade coax stripper, that's the best way, after you burn through a foot or three of scrap getting the blades set just right. RG-142 is moderately floppy (0.2" diameter), but it's not as bad as something like RG-174 (0.1" diameter)  If you put it in the refrigerator (or outside in some parts of the country this time of year) it gets stiffer, and it's easier to run the stripper on it.

The other handheld approach is a thermal stripper (the kind with the two flat blades that get hot), or very careful work with an X-acto knife.

Having a little template printed out or marked with the lengths you need is really helpful.  I cut the outer jacket and shields first. Then trim the outer jacket back. Finally, I strip the center conductor.

Your crimp connector drawing will tell you - some crimp connectors have the outer jacket and shield at the same length, and the connector sort of shoves down inside the shield, stretching the shields and outer jacket.

Sent from my iPad