Re: [TowerTalk] Tougher antenna rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tougher antenna rope
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 13:45:00 -0800
On 1/22/2019 12:58 PM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:
And where I have used 5/16”, the rope stays up forever.

The wires (80, 40, 30 dipoles, 160M Tee) hung between my very tall redwoods mostly use 5/16" Synthetic Textiles rope, and mostly through CMI rescue pulleys that climbers have attached to big hooks lagged into the tree trunk. Over a period of 12 years, I have experienced serious fraying of these ropes, three times enough to break the black outer layer, requiring replacement of the rope, and once with the rope breaking. For every antenna, one end rope is tied down to the tree and the other end has a 90# weight that can move. I've replaced ropes that break or fray with 7/16". Not cheap, but a  lot cheaper than hiring a climber for a day.

To put this in perspective, the highest of these wires are about 150 ft up, the lowest about 100 ft, and all are fed with RG11. That's a lot of weight, so it requires a lot of tension to minimize droop.

When I first moved here, K2RD used his pneumatic tennis ball launcher to implement the method that N8DE described so well. It works, but I found that I was giving up too much elevation, so I hired climbers. Another important thing that climbers do is clear branches below the pulley that could snag the antenna as it's being raised and lowered.

Raising and lowering is important -- every few years, I've had to lower my 80M dipole with #10 THHN to trim a few feet, because it's stretched with the tension. As I repair/replace these wires, I'm rebuilding them with #8 bare copper from the big box store that W6GJB and I have stretched to make it hard drawn. We tie one end to a tree trunk, the other to the trailer hitch on his pickup, and slowly pull until it breaks. We end up with 15-20% longer wire that's roughly #9.

73, Jim K9YC