Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] OT: Inductor Calculator
From: Wes <wes_n7ws@triconet.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 05:42:42 -0700
For insight about silver plating see: http://k6mhe.com/n7ws/Plating.pdf

I could tell a war story about nickle under gold on an X-Band waveguide IMPATT diode test oscillator.

Wes  N7WS

On 2/27/2019 3:11 PM, jimlux wrote:

 And how to get something silver plated once out of high school chemistry class I don't know?

- Silver plating doesn't affect the RF resistance very much unless the silver is VERY thick - particularly at 2 MHz.
Copper skin depth at 2 MHz is 1.82 mils (46.1 microns)
Silver skin depth at 2 Mhz is 1.77 mils (44.9 micron)

Resistivity is 1.59 for silver, 1.68 for copper

QQ-S-365, ASTM B700 silver plating thickness is .05 mil, 13 microns

Complicating this is there's usually a nickel flash/strike plate under the silver, to prevent silver/copper migration, and nickel is magnetic and lossy.

Maybe you might want to put a silver plating on the inside of Aluminum waveguide at high frequencies.

But for low frequencies, you're probably better off just making your conductor 6% bigger in diameter and that will provide lower overall AC resistance.