Re: [TowerTalk] Durability of Mastrant rope

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Durability of Mastrant rope
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2019 23:35:17 -0500
Nylon is notorious for degrading very fast in sunlight, so don't use it for antennas. Dacron/polyester is much, much better. Some line has a nylon core and a polyester sheath, which seems to work fine. I've had some of that up for years. While nylon is initially stronger than polyester, it's weaker after a short time in the sun. For example, the stitching in my awning completely disintegrated after a few years, but the polyester fabric is still fine. Why they used nylon thread in the first place is beyond me.

73,

Scott K9MA

--
Scott  K9MA