Re: [TowerTalk] TB3 Postmortem

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TB3 Postmortem
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2019 10:05:51 -0500
True, but the rotator distributes the load among a much larger number of ball bearings. The shape of the races in the TB3 make it clear it was designed primarily for radial loads, not axial.  Also, an "in tower" rotator can be removed without taking the whole antenna system down.

Another thought occurred to me: With the thrust bearing bolts tightened down, the system is overconstrained. That means that very high stresses could occur if the two bearings systems aren't perfectly true as they fight each other.

73,
Scott K9MA