Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower

To: Dave Tipton <dave@w5dmt.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Calculating Forces for Tilting tower
From: charlie@thegallos.com
Date: Wed, 29 May 2019 11:15:27 -0400
Hey Gang,

This isn't a snark answer - this is me trying to learn, I'm NOT an engineer (although some call me a 'software engineer' - bah)

Where do those 2x and 4x numbers come from? I _ASSUME_ it is standard engineering "stuff". Now I have a Machinery's Handbook, and a Marks Manual sitting here - is there a section where I can look this up, so I can understand it?

I'm assuming it is the simple ftlb model, with the ratio of the 10ft and 40 ft, but that doesn't seem to take into account any vectors on the load too (of course that gives you a nice safety factor, always a GOOD thing)

73 de KG2V

<snip>
if the 'hinge' is at ground level and your winch is at the 10' level, the total force of those two loads will be:
2x the tower load PLUS
4x the 'top' load.
that's quite a bit for the position of the winch .. AND .. if the winch is connected to the garage, it just might pull the garage wall down.
73
Don
N8DE
<snip>