Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire antenna?
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 14:26:35 -0700

The EFHW-8010 gets rave reviews, but I'm fundamentally suspicious of any antenna that covers that wide a range without tuning.  There have to be losses somewhere to get that.

Those same reviews also claim similar results for installations 6 feet off the ground versus 60 feet.  That also doesn't make sense given the effect that ground typically has on the feedpoint of a horizontally polarized antenna without a lot of loss.

I couldn't find anyone who had done a real time A vs. B comparison against, for example, a center fed dipole at 40 feet on 20 meters. I'm not saying that the EFHW-8010 isn't a practical single antenna for a given set of constraints, but I'd bet a lot of money that you could do better with a collection of other properly chosen wire antennas if you have the space (presumably you do if you can put up a 130' long EFHW-8010) and some decent trees.

And if your ground conductivity isn't too bad, I'd even consider an Inverted-L or two with VOR-type counterpoises before I'd rely on something that physically shouldn't work without a lot of loss ... especially if the distance from the antenna to the shack is short enough that you could use a tuner for operation on multiple bands without a lot of feedline loss due to SWR.

My two cents worth ...

73,
Dave   AB7E