[TowerTalk] HDBX Version History...

To: 'towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HDBX Version History...
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 17:47:31 -0500
I recently asked a question about HDBX 48 torque loading. Another towertalkian told me his failed in about 80 MPH winds. He sent me a picture of his failed HDBX 48 (more heavily loaded than mine by a fair bit) that failed. Something I noticed in the picture was that his HDBX48?? had only *five* X-braces per section; I thought it looked odd, so I went out and looked at mine: mine has *six* X-braces per section. He said his was manufactured sometime around 1968-1970 while mine was put up around 1986, so was probably made around that time.

Did Rohn change the design of their BX towers to add another X-brace to each section, or am I seeing things?

Kim N5OP

--

Kim Elmore, Ph.D. (Adj. Assoc. Prof., OU School of Meteorology, CCM, PP SEL/MEL/Glider, N5OP, 2nd Class Radiotelegraph, GROL)

/"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." //??? Attributed to many people; it???s so true that it doesn???t matter who said it./