Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 problem with new unit: Solved

To: "'W3YY'" <w3yy@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yaesu G-2800 problem with new unit: Solved
From: al.n6ta@gmail.com
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2019 13:15:16 -0700
Update on my 2800 and RT-21 'problem'.  But first, what a great set of
replies I got on the reflector, and directly.  This group continues to amaze
me with the generosity of help and abundant expertise.  I intend to
contribute in areas of my expertise!
I also want to give a shout out to Jeff, at Green Heron.  Jeff responded
quickly (on a weekend) to my initial emails with all the test data I took so
he could reply with possible problems.  His response was detailed, thorough
and a direct reply to the details I sent him.  I could not have asked for
better service.  I hope to never need to ask for that kind of help again!

I mis-wired the cable to the controller.  Stupid, yeah.  Being a retired
engineer and thinking I am smart, I thought to make a XL spreadsheet of the
connections from the rotor connector thru a short cable to a connector, thru
a length of one type of old rotor cable to another type of cable to another
connector and to the pigtails to the controller.  Showing the terminal
designations and all the wire colors in between.  I also made some wires
parallel since I have extra wires.  Once I made the cable to the
spreadsheet, I tested the heck out of it for continuity and shorts and
resistance of the wires.  Perfect so what could go wrong.  Well, if you
start with a transposition of numbers on the first column of the chart and
make and test to that mistake, things do not work.  I had two of the
position feedback connections backward.  Maybe I should go back to work and
keep the brain sharp!

I will mention that you need to carefully measure the motor winding in the
rotator due to series diodes.  I got open circuit until I reversed the leads
and used the diode test feature (as Jeff reminded me!)

Again, my thanks to those that replied.
Again, great bunch of hams here.
73,
Al