Re: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Skip Distance
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 07:42:44 -0700
On 9/13/19 6:47 AM, Roger D Johnson wrote:
Frequency was 1825 kHz

Daytime? at 2MHz?

You're totally below the critical frequency, even with no sunspots..
No question you are getting skywave propagation. In fact, low sunspots

helps, because the D-layer absorption is lower, so you can actually get up to the F layer and back down.

Here's a real timeionogram from Wallops (somewhat farther south)
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/IONO/rt-iono/latest/WI937.png
https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/IONO/rt-iono/latest/WP937.png

As I write this the MUF is about 6 MHz, so your 2MHz skywave is no problem.

I think there's some ionosondes farther north - there's one at Haystack near Boston, MA, but I can't seem to find the real time data.