Re: [TowerTalk] A3S

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A3S
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 17:56:03 -0400
The distance between closely spaced interlaced elements can vary in the
wind, they can even touch so the antenna needs to be build so this will not
occur.  I brought a Force12 C3 to the station I set up and operated as
WP2AA and it worked well.

The original  Cushcraft A3S was not a bad expedition antenna, I won a
number of contest plaques using one in the Caribbean.  I would recommend
reading the reviews regarding the trap quality before buying the newer
version.

John KK9A
Jim Lux wrote:The C-3 and its friends are very clever designs with 3 bands
interlaced
on one boom, but with just aluminum tubing.  With modern modeling tools,
you can probably customize the design a bit if you want to use different
size tubing, have it optimized for a different frequency in the band, etc.

One thing to remember about clever designs (and especially, optimizing
such designs) is that they can sometimes be sensitive to assembly and
tolerances.  That's where modeling comes in handy, you can skew an
element by a few degrees, or make an element 1" shorter or longer and
see what happens.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy 7 edge, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone.