Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking 4-squares ?
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 20:34:44 -0400
Hi Guys,.

Regarding "how" I wish to stack-maybe I should've clarified or used
different language (OK, really I thought it was overtly obvious, but I guess
some don't know the mechanical challenges of stacking 'vertically' a
4-Square (big chuckle..I don't know how I would even go about that with no
towers here)...I wish to mount the verticals ON THE GROUND, 'side-by-each'
as they'd say up here in these parts (actually, with a French or Newfie
accent it might sound more like "Syde by Heach" (hi)

Anyways....ie: Side by side, spaced by some amount.

Tim/K3LR has been kind enough to send some info on distances, so now I am
just looking for a little more info on geographic placement.  IE: I believe
the wavefronts will be out of phase in 2 directions, so I am envisioning
perhaps placing the arrays in a NW/SE direction, so I can (or think I can)
maximize gain in 2 primary directions. (ie: NE(EU) and SW (USA/Pacific)

I have heard from many of you directly and some here on the reflector.   My
inbox runneth over. Many thanks to all.

I also have heard that VE7CC and VY2ZM may also have stacked 4-squares on
80m.

I also need to correct myself.  I think I may have said down "10db from
locals, yada yada" I should quantify that a little bit by saying that AT
TIMES, I am 10dB down, but on average maybe only 5 or 6dB.and sometimes
there are periods where I seem to be a bit louder or exactly on par.  This
is not an exact analysis.  This is just me eyeballing the RBN comparison
charts after most big contests and doing an eyeball comparison of the graphs
when comparing similar sized stations in the Maritimes and Northern New
England. Frinstance, for WAE, here in VE9, we are beaming EU 100% of the
time.   For CQWW, not 100%, but most of the time.at least in the daylight.
So, my 20m 4-Square (ground mounted) does work..but I know I can do better.

Thanks all !

Mike VE9AA..20m 4-square, 40m 4-square, 80m 4-Square, (160m is just a low
inverted L at the moment) and my 15m VDA fell into a heap mere hours after
CQWW due to icebuildup and some winds up here on the Ridge.

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB