Re: [TowerTalk] Balun in 80m 4 sqr with with vertical dipoles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun in 80m 4 sqr with with vertical dipoles
From: Ignacy Misztal <no9e@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 22:23:39 -0400
The goal is to have 4 square for 80m with vertical dipoles a la K8UR,
without compromising the performance of 160m shunt feed on the same tower.
My tower is 100ft. If vertical dipoles have baluns at the feedpoint, the
coax to vertical dipoles is at about 45 ft and loads the tower at low
height, reducing performance on 160m.  Having a balun by teh 4 sq box, in
the middle of the tower, cuts the coax from the tower but the cable to the
dipole will radiate.

For those who want to have a dipole at the end of tower and at the same
time shunt feed the tower, normal baluns do not work, and tuned baluns are
used as in ON4UN book. The alternative is a transformer. I tried a
transformer made of 8 bifilar turns on FT140-43. Heating on 80m at a KW
level was minimal.

Ignacy, NO9E