Re: [TowerTalk] VSWR Heating in Chokes and Baluns

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] VSWR Heating in Chokes and Baluns
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2020 10:44:15 -0700

Hi, Hank.

Well, I have various very high power resistors, so by using them in various combinations with some large variable capacitors I can generate various VSWR loads.  I can measure the actual R +/- jX for each combination.

I recently built a very high power and wide range antenna tuner using components (large variable caps, large rotary inductor, and large WWII surplus switches that can switch in some very high power Russian ceramic doorknob capacitors) that I have collected over the years.    I think I could use it to drive the VSWR loads without burning up my amp.

I also have a spare common mode choke built to K9YC specs, and Lowes sells an infrared temperature "gun" in their electrical department (only about $40, if I remember correctly).

I'll also have to build a simple RF current meter to monitor current at the choke.

The only problem is that something popped in my big tube amp (QRO Technologies HF-2500DX that uses two GU-74B tubes).  I think one of the tubes shorted and I've already burned in the two spares I had, but I haven't had time to open up the amp and see if that was the problem.

If I'm able to get the amp back on line, I'll do the tests.  My basic premise is that ferrite cores are ceramic insulators with some dielectric loss, and that high VSWR can create a E-field that generates heat in the core not directly relate to the magnetic flux created by current in the coil.  I could easily be wrong, but it will be interesting to see.

Take care es 73,
Dave   AB7E