Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question Part III

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4 square question Part III
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2020 17:22:04 -0300
".wire 4-square elements are N, E, S, and W, arranged in a box."

Hi Bob/KQ2M:  This is Mike VE9AA.with multiple wire 4-squares.

Maybe I am simply misinterpreting what you just wrote, but from Northeastern
North America, your prime directions

that you'll be beaming for contests are:

EU (NE)

USA (SW)

AF/PY/some Carib (SE) and

Asia (NW)

Thus, you're elements are all in the wrong locations for your stock ComTek
box to work.

Your main directions and element placements should be like this (I hope the
formatting holds across the reflector)

NW.....NE

.                     .

.                     .

.                     .

.                     .

.                     .

SW....SE

In this diagram, if you were beaming EU from New England, the NE element is
'equivalent' to your director, the NW/SE elements are 'equivalent' to your
driven and the SW element is 'equivalent' to your reflector.

That's how I have all my wire 4-squares setup anyways.

I have 2 raised radials per.  I don't think it makes a huge difference where
they are, so I am not going to belabour that point, as I know folks will
complain.

If I were you, I'd really rethink where I was placing my elements or go with
a different (*modified?) controller, as yours is sure to disappoint.

Mike VE9AA

I want to thank KK9A, NA6O, W4EF, SM2EKM, DCharing (callsign?) and W6RMK,
for

all of their guidance, comments and links to helpful sites.  Greatly

appreciated as always!

Now for the final question...  let's say that the "positions" of the Gauge
12

or 14 THHN wire 4-square elements are N, E, S, and W, arranged in a box with

the sides broadside to NE, SE, SW, and NW and all the elements will all have

either 3 or 4 elevated radials.  I will be using the Comtek ACB4 (80)
phasing

box fed with each element fed with 1/4 wavelengths of RG11 foam coax.  (It's

the same phasing box I have been using for the past 25 years).

Does it matter what directions the radials are pointing for each element?
So

let's say I am using the NE position on the ACB-4 controller, since I am

radiating on all 4 elements, does it matter what directions the radials are

pointing?  Do I want to have the same radial directions with all 4 elements
or

do I want to spread out the radial directions differently on each element?

Since NE is by far the most important direction for me (Europe), do I want

have more radials pointing NE or broadside NE or equally spread out so that
the

radiation and current return is more uniform?   I am not clear on any of
this

or if it is even important so I would appreciate any guidance that you can

provide!

My understanding is that I want to get the radials at least .05 wavelength

above ground so at least 13' above ground.  Is that correct?

Tnx & 73

Bob, KQ2M

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB