Re: [TowerTalk] Adding to existing radial field

To: Stewart Rolfe <gw0etf@btinternet.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Adding to existing radial field
From: Artek Manuals <Manuals@ArtekManuals.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 02:18:07 -0500
Stew

I think most of the earlier concern about radial crossing was for elevated radials. Lets say you had 16 on/in  ground radials to begin with. Adding say another 8 or 16 on top of those would be very unlikely to have arcing problems at the crossover points if any.

On other fronts in my book it is always prudent to measure  your feed point impedance before adding more radials . Then remeasure every 4 additional radials or so. Once you get to the point tha there is very little change your ham radio budget and time would be more productive spent elsewhere. The history on the internet  has dozens of articles showing how the laws of diminishing returns apply to ground mounted radial lengths and numbers. Also bear in mind while interesting reading everyone's soil conditions are different so best in my book to do your own measurements as you add radials.

Good luck copper plating your yard

Dave
NR1DX