[TowerTalk] SOLVED - Intermittent rotation- TIC RING 1022E

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] SOLVED - Intermittent rotation- TIC RING 1022E
From: w5wz@w5wz.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 10:14:13 -0600
Ah-Ha!
FINALLY SOLVED!!!

Ultimately, there were 2 problems, both inside the single motor.

1. The set screw in the gear on the pot shaft was slipping on the shaft. Solution - used a Dremmel tool to grind a small flat spot on the pot shaft for the set screw to seat on.

2. A screw holding the pot bracket to the motor was loose, allowing the pot assembly and gear to move about 1/16-inch. The pot shaft gear would engage the drive gear for counter-clockwise rotation but disengage for clockwise rotation. This intermittent behavior was the real challenge to find. 1 drop of thread-locker on the screw and then tightened. I had to pretty much disassemble the motor and remove the drive gear to access this loose screw.

Regretfully, I didn't take any pictures of the problems and the solutions. I was so elated to finally resolve this issue that had been ongoing for a couple of years and roughly 20 trips up and down the tower.

Things previously tried that did not fix the problem:
Re-align the motor and ring (multiple times). It would work for a short period of time and then fail again. I suppose the jarring of the motor caused the pot bracket to move such that the gear re-engaged.
Replace the pot.
Replace the control box.
Thoroughly test the control cable, including connectors.
Thoroughly examine the TicRig for mechanical issues.
Cry.
Stomp my feet.
Whimper.
Blame a politician.

Ha!

Thanks to all who shared hints, tips and experiences.

--Scott, W5WZ