Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and towers

To: lists@kd4moj.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Birds and towers
From: w6rgs <w6rgs@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2021 17:20:40 -0800
Date: 1/24/21  16:37  (GMT-08:00) To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re:
[TowerTalk] Birds and towers Be thankful that you don't have a family of
Vultures that made the tower their home. Working a tower around vulture dung is
not fun....DOUGKD4MOJOn Sun Jan 24 14:56 , "Lux, Jim"  sent:>On 1/24/21 11:13
AM, Andre VanWyk via TowerTalk wrote:>> I just completed installing two large
Luso towers for a client and about to>> start construction on mine so will have
the same issue. The problem is>> birds.  I am wondering if there is anything
besides decoy owls that might be>> worth trying to keep them from sitting and
attempting to nest on these>> towers. These towers are big and has lots of
components that are full of>> bird poop. Components are powder coated and it
looks pretty bad. Any>> suggestions (besides birdshot!) or thoughts on this
subject would be>> appreciated. The decoy owls seemed to have worked for a
couple of weeks but>> now seems useless.>>The birds are smart and will quickly
learn to ignore anything that >doesn't move.>>You might check with the
companies that sell stuff for vineyards and >orchards...>>rotating things
driven by the wind seem to work (you see them on top of >billboards - a couple
long rods on a pivot).  They might also work >oriented vertically.>>bird spikes
(plastic things that make it hard to perch) - these work >great and they're
cheap, plastic, and UV tolerant, but kind of ugly (but >probably not an issue
on a tower application)>>Rotating pinwheel things driven by the wind, or the
vertical rotors.>>The ribbons of shiny mylar sometimes work.>>>They also make
owls (and other scarecrows) with a clockwork mechanism >that rotates them
periodically (solar powered, even!).>>Netting>>Noise makers - Around here, they
play the sound of hawks screeching, to >keep the birds away from corn and
veggie crops, I don't know how well >they work, but it screeches about every
1/2 hr to hour, semirandomly.  I >suspect it is highly "species"
 mailing
list>TowerTalk@contesting.com>http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/towertalk______________________________________________________________________________________________TowerTalk