Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 16:54:51 -0800
On 2/16/21 4:18 PM, Michael Poteet wrote:
This is a request for opinions.  I am thinking about putting up a wire
antenna.  At my age (81) I have no interest in climbing towers, trees or the
roof.  Nor I am I interested in installing any support that requires a
concrete base or that weighs over 100 pounds.

I've noted there are at least a couple of telescoping masts (up to 50 feet)
that could be used to support simple wire antennas (when guyed
appropriately).  One is carbon fiber, the other is aluminum.  Is there any
advantage of one of these over the other for "permanent" antenna support?
Initial cost is not a factor.

I have one of the 40-ish foot carbon fiber collapsible poles. It's fairly sturdy and easy to put up, but the top part *does* bend (it's pretty small, think fishing rod tip).

The challenge is coming up with a way to support the bottom so it stands vertically.

You don't want a big concrete base, which makes supporting a challenge, to resist the overturning moment from wind loads and the wire. With a 40 foot lever arm it doesn't take much force at the top to have impressive forces at the bottom.

I've tried things like driving a 8 foot T-post about 5 feet in, leaving 3 feet sticking up, and lashing a vertical to that.  Aside from the spectacular "trip hazard" of the T post, even with a tennis ball on the top, it *will* bend or shift if the antenna is loaded.  And that's a fair amount of work to drive (my shoulders and back felt it for days).

What kind of surface are you putting this mast up over? Grass? dirt?