Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports

To: Jack Brindle <jackbrindle@me.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire Antenna Supports
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:14:23 -0800
On 2/16/21 5:03 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:
Jim;

It appears that Mike is in North Texas, where lightning is a factor (unlike
here in Silicon Valley). Would well-grounded metal supports be a better option
to fend off that problem?

My question isn’t just academic - I’ll be having the same problem not too long
from now in southwest Louisiana.

73!
Jack, W6FB

If lightning hits the fishing pole, it's gonna die. I guess you could run a AWG 10 wire up the side of it and it would probably survive.

You could also just couple a 20 foot pieces of steel pipe (fence top rail) or aluminum pipe (all manner of sizes available) . The problem isn't the mast, it's the base support.

If you can dig a hole, you might be able to get away with the "removable tetherball post" approach - sink a piece of pipe that has an ID just larger than the OD of your mast, and fill around with concrete. But you're back to the "will it lever out?" question, which is sort of a combination of mass and physical area (pushing against the surrounding soil).

The other approach is a sort of teepee - 3 40 foot masts with the bases set fairly far apart (5 or 6 feet) and joined at the top. That turns the overturning moment into a down force on some legs and an upforce on the others, but something that is potentially manageable with a plate and some tent stakes, or a screw in earth anchor.

Or guys - I guess the OP didn't say "no guys" so that is a great way to get it to stand up.  N6RK has some fairly large masts that are guyed, made of irrigation pipe.