Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antennas for SO2R station
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 16:22:34 -0400
Can?t really improve too much on what Steve wrote.  I will reiterate that I
couldn?t get a brand new IC-7300 to work here in my SO2R setup, (you can
find my review on eHam) whereas 2 older IC-7410?s and a lowly , nearly
antique/classic  IC-746 work just fine. (I do hear rumours that some folks
are using IC7300's in SO2R setups however)

My SO2R stn contains a mix of verticals and 4-squares(verticals) for the
?main? radio (#1) and then a big multiband (horizontal) antenna for radio #2
(usually the S&P radio) located 150-300' away from the other (vertical)
antennas.  No stubs, no BPF's...cross polarization, good radios and antenna
separation does the trick.

I did it this way as I wasn't sure I wanted to invest a ton of money in 2
sets of BPF's, a plethora of stubs, and a way to switch them all out back
and forth between radios.  Certainly well into thousands of dollars. More if
automatic, tracking radios.

Am I the loudest stn up here? Nope.

Do I have good (cheap) fun?

Yup!

GL Jaimie

AA

WW3S wrote:

Just wondering if anyone uses 2 antennas on the same mast for SO2R?

There are stations that go a step further and use the same antenna for
SO2R, with a triplexer (or even quadplexer). Of course, with a SteppIR you
can't do that.

If you are planning station changes anyway, my suggestion is to replace
the 7300. It's a great radio, at a great price, for a SO1R station, but the
A/D dynamic range limits it in SO2R applications. The 2nd change I would
make is to replace the SteppIR with a modern tribander and triplexer.

73,
Steve, N2IC

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB