Re: [TowerTalk] Intermittent on Receive Only

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Intermittent on Receive Only
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:42:00 -0400
It's the latter, John - thanks.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 9/16/2021 9:03 AM, john@kk9a.com wrote:
This can be an annoying problem. It is a bad connection somewhere and
usually a little RF will temporarily improve the connection. It could also
be a bad T/R relay in your transceiver or amp. To help trouble shoot the
antenna system you need to determine what antenna settings cause this
condition. For example, if it occurs on all bands and you are using an
external rely box the problem is likely in the relay box or the feedline
going to it. If it occurs on only one antenna it is likely related to its
balun or feedline.

John KK9A

Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

One of my antennas has a problem on receive, where the strength of
signals will abruptly drop for a second or less and then spontaneously
return to normal.  However, when I transmit on the antenna, it never
shows any indication of an intermittent connection, even at 1500 watts -
the SWR is still 1.1:1.

Is this a well-known way in which a connector problem can manifest itself?