Re: [TowerTalk] Cable ties

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable ties
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:32:15 -0700
On 10/15/21 9:19 AM, jim.thom jim.thom@telus.net wrote:
What about  SS  hose clamps.  They come in every diameter  you can think of.
The coax, etc, would require either some 33 or 88 tape 1st, and / or
perhaps some cushioning material.

I used to use a lot of hose clamps for this kind of thing. I don't any more, unless there's some specific requirement for it.

1) you need cushioning - the band has sharp edges

2) those stupid edges poking out from the screw clamp - a dull knife laying in wait for a moment of inattention.  Most of my wounds haven't left a visible scar, but I'd rather not have had them at all.

3) the band may be SS, but sometimes, the screw isn't or the housing for the screw isn't, and it rusts.

4) it requires a tool to adjust (yes, they make them with thumb turns, but...)

A bunch of pieces of copper house wire works pretty well, and doesn't rust like baling wire (the other thing I use for this kind of thing) or fall apart like baling twine (yet another substitute). And it's something one tends to have around as scrap.   The stiffness helps hold it while you're working with it too.  UV resistant twine is kind of floppy, and you have the problem of holding one end while trying to get the other end where you want it. Standing on a ladder or tower or roof and needing three hands is a pain.

Yeah, the nylon coating gets shabby after a while, but it doesn't change the functionality.