Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack
From: Gene Smar via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2022 18:56:24 +0000 (UTC)
 In commercial (cellular, LMR) services, the decision of where to put the power
stage (in the equipment hut or on the top of the tower) depends on the cost to
generate enough power to compensate for dB loss in the coax.  At today's
mm-wave freqs for 5G operation, e.g., Freq Range 2 from 24-52 GHz, it would be
costlier to put a PA of sufficient power in the hut at the tower base to yield
the necessary ERP at the antenna than it would to put a smaller PA stage at the
tower top and run a fiber/copper cable assembly to it from the hut.

It's a different story at HF and even V/UHF.  The coax losses are significantly
less in this freq range than at mm-wave so the advantage (coax loss reduction)
of remoting the RF components is not as great.  For us Hams it becomes a matter
of personal taste - how loud do I want to be? - vs how loud MUST I be?
On another hand, running fiber vs coax to the tower could eliminate much of the
danger from lightning strikes.  The problem then becomes (a simpler?) one of
protecting the power feed(s) going to the electronics from inside the Ham
shack.

 73 deGene Smar  AD3F