[TowerTalk] The difference that 1 db makes

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] The difference that 1 db makes
From: David Gilbert <ab7echo@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 12:00:54 -0700

I did this analysis for CW signals several years ago, but it should still be valid.  I called it the "minimal discernible difference". It doesn't show how many QSOs an extra dB or two will give you, but it does give a fairly decent indication for the effect on copy.  The method I used to create the files is described as well.

http://www.ab7e.com/weak_signal/mdd.html

The Cliff Notes version is that my conclusion is that 1 dB can make a marginal difference, and 2 dB will make a noticeable one.  It would be fairly simple for someone to use that same methodology to generate similar files with a much larger number of callsigns, and anyone could then determine the effect of a dB or two on the percentage of copied callsigns.

I think it is also noteworthy to check out the effect of code speed on intelligibility in weak signal (relative to the noise level) situations.

73,
Dave   AB7E