[TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: fading and the value of 1 dB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Re: fading and the value of 1 dB
From: "Mike VE9AA ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 16:53:54 -0400 (EDT)

A few years back there was someone who did a clever experiment and posted CW recordings and they were all 1 or 2dB signal levels apart. I don't know who or how that was done, but when I listened to them, for sure I could tell the difference most of the time in 2dB's of difference and given enough time, often I could hear 1dB of difference.
  - - -
As a "test" I have tried in one contest, some years ago calling stations at very low output levels here. 1watt or 1.5w I think I tried and often, no reply. Not even a QRZ. Then I called again and I upped it to 2 or 3 watts (I forget exactly) and often got a QRZ and sometimes only then was a QSO made. Not exactly scientific, I know...

My QTH is (typically) very quiet, in rural NB, Canada more-or-less on top of a nice hill far from the nearest city and a LOT of times I may call a very weak station (full QRO here) and not get a reply. Obviously they have a higher noise level than I do. How much more, I have no way of knowing.

 The takeaway:
 Every dB counts.

I have worked loads of EU on 10m and for hours on end at super weak signal levels and rarely been spotted by the RBN on those days.

 Mike VE9AA