Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB
From: "Lux, Jim" <jim@luxfamily.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 07:08:18 -0700
On 2022-05-19 09:23, Lux, Jim wrote:
<snip>
I'm not so sure that it's out of reach. yes, trying to implement it
with gear from 1980 would be challenging. But with more modern
equipment, where the "radio" is a black box controlled by a "front
panel" or "computer" it gets easier.

<snip>

The answer to this type of problem (lots of confounding variables) is not really to go too nuts controlling things you can't control (propagation) but to collect LOTS of data, across various sites, and ERP levels, and then throw "Big Data" techniques at it.  You'd fairly quickly discover what a dB of ERP is worth (and probably, if the data was kept right "I heard him but could not work him" what a dB of RCV is worth

The challenge is collecting EIRP levels.  Receive levels are easy. And with something like skimmer, you could probably assume that any given callsign over  short time isn't changing their TX power (but they could be pointing their beam somewhere else).

I'd bet that we could even do this with skimmer and beacon networks, IF we knew/know what various stations were outputting at various times.  The statistical analysis could clean out the rapid propagation differences