Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 11:52:33 -0700
On 5/19/2022 11:38 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
Combining the outputs of the two receivers to a single (mono) channel is problematic, because the phase relationships at audio have a good chance of cancelling.

I should add that when diversity reception is used with wireless microphones for broadcasting, entertainment, and worship, the outputs of the two receivers are "voted" for best signal to noise ratio, just as multiple receive sites are voted in VHF/UHF repeater systems. When I lived in Chicago, I was part of a team maintaining one of several such 2M systems. The transmitter was on a tall building in the Loop, receivers were at opposite ends of the metro area.

Here in the Santa Cruz Mountains, there's a very innovative system with 6-8 sites (a variable because wildland fires have destroyed several sites), each of which receives and transmits the voted combination. The transmitters are synchronized; cancellation is minimized because the mountainous terrain combines with inverse square law causes arrivals at any RX location from multiple transmitters to be nearly equal.

http://www.wb6ece.org/technical-info.html

73, Jim K9YC