To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 234, Issue 1
From: hp via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2022 15:16:00 -0400 (EDT)
I do not have a 36XA but have a KT34 rebuilt to latest M2 specs and mechanics.
It had never been quite right on 15 so when I rebuilt I spent a LOT of time on
what was going on on 15.SWR was always taking off below 21025 and F/B was lousy
in CW portion. Long story short - problem was the 15 meter cap tubes were
slightly
oversize ID and the 3/8 tubing was undersize by a few mils on each such that
you
could not get the capacitance you needed . So after I resolved that - I could
get
good swr and F/B over the band . Look up N6MW on the internet he has published
a lot o
of what both he and I and others did on KT34 15 meter problems.

Now to interaction.
I was doing the work on a tripod on roof peak about 30 feet under a 40M1L
rotatable dipole.
I would get everything just fine (running F/B with a friend about 2miles north
of me. )
Then I would finalize everything and recheck next night and it had gone to
hell. I was using
the 40M1L at night and was not attention to where it was left.What was
happening is that
the F/B and low end SWR were massively affected by the coupling to the 40M1L
dipole some 30 feet higher .
I could move F/B 100khz -150khz by changing orientation of the two antennas. (I
suspect that one might
be able to "open" the dipole and reduce the coupling but with the dipole in
line with the KT34 boom
it was not an issue )

Once I nulled the remote 15M sig on the dipole (end on to the signal) then
adjusted the KT34 15M traps - everything
was solid and would stay just fine. My signal source buddy and my Grandson
armstrong rotator who both thought I was
crazy as hell were relieved.

See Bill N6MW comments on KT34 he and I were working on same issues at the time
and has other data

Hank K7HP

Message: 1