Re: [TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:38:18 -0700
On 7/23/2022 11:09 AM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
The only caveat with N connectors is if you are running power into a load that
is not mostly resistive. If you have a non-resonant or partially resonant
antenna like an 80M dipole that you are using a tuner to get a match over the
entire 500kHz of the band, you can have voltages along the feedline that exceed
the ratings for N. UHF connectors fare somewhat better in this situation.

Those who consider N-connectors superior solely because they are controlled impedance fail to understand the fundamentals of transmission lines. Below UHF, the small impedance bump from PL259s and a barrel doesn't matter in real systems.

Maybe ten years ago, I built more than 1,000 ft of cables in 100 ft lengths for a DX trip using Amphenol 83-1SP connectors. When I spliced them together with Amphenol barrels and measured the loss using HP generator and spectrum analyzer, it was less than the spec for the cable to at least 100 MHz.

73, Jim K9YC