Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] High-Tension Wires
From: Jim <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2022 23:24:54 -0500
What voltage are these lines?  How many bells on the insulators? Old or new structures?

I too had *167KV lines* run through my 13 acres via a right away. Never gave me any problems. They were about 800-1000 feet away from my antennas.  These lines were on a 2-pole structure with very large cross arms between the poles. The three conductors were hanging on 15 bell insulators.

However, they did attract lightning, which hit the "statics (AKA Shield Wires)" (ground conductors they run on tops of the poles, between each pole) and ground at each pole with a butt wrap)... Such as the ones shown in this picture on the 2-pole structures: https://oppdthewire.com/how-works-shield-wires/

A good test is take a small AM transistor radio to the property your looking at and give a listen to a weak station or or even a blank frequency on the AM band and see what you hear.

As said before here, I had more issues with the 7600 V distribution lines  than I did with the transmission line.

Thanks, 73, Jim W7RY